BENEFITS OF SWIMMING FOR TEENAGERS
- Physical Benefits- Promotes fitness, strength, coordination and physical achievement. Relatively injury free compared to other youth sports.
- Social Benefits – A great individual and team sport that teaches sportsmanship, how to work with coaches, teammates and officials, and how to win and lose. Being part of a team gives teens a sense of belonging and identity and builds lifelong friendships.
- Job Training – Huntington Beach is the home of the Junior Guard Program and Lifeguard training for our community beaches. Qualifying for these programs and opportunities requires meeting swimming standards in a pool.
- Water Polo- Orange County is the hot bed for competitive water polo in the country. These athletes usually begin as swimmers.
- College Opportunity – There are 460 Men’s and 580 Women’s college swim programs across the country who offer scholarships to swimmers.
About $1 billion in full and part athletic scholarships are awarded annually by NCAA for water polo.
Overcrowded, Out of Date and Not Competitive: